Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

They know who your parents are, they know your friends


I decided to get my picture taken today for my late dorm application to the Ateneo. A friend and I visited a photo center in the mall. She needed her picture too. If I remember it right, for UP.

We entered the store and got our order slip. The lady in the counter told us to wait for our names to be called so we can enter the studio and get our faces photographed. We sat in front of their line of computers where customers get their digital photos copied for printing.

We waited and saw a lady from the store walk in front one of the computers. She browsed to a customer's folder (I've had printing done here before - I know what a customer's folders look like) and started browsing through the photos. She was 20-25 years old and I was disturbed when she started looking at the pictures one-by-one, but with a sense of caution and rush often brought about by guilt. Its as if she did not want to get caught.

Intrigued, I joined her feast. It appeared to be pictures from a trip to some domestic location that includes a blue shore, white sand, statues of lions, a church and finally, a basketball game. I am sure she had nothing to do with it except she wanting to look at photos of strangers.


She was enjoying herself until a customer on another computer said the virus scanning of her disk is done and asked if she could start choosing which photos to print already. She said yes and closed the photo viewing program. I expected her to move to assisting the customer. No, she didn't. Instead, she viewed the photos again. This time from the bottom up. She was noticeably taking more time admiring the photos from a basketball game. That is one naughty photo store worker.

From now on I will have second thoughts on having my pictures printed. Yes, you print them to show to people but of course, you don't invite random strangers into your home and present your photo albums to them.

From now on, if I see a person wearing an ID from a photo printing service I have used before, I will fall into paranoia. "Maybe she/he knows a lot about me. She knows who my friends are, she has seen my family. Worst part is: I don't know anything about her. *gunshots*"

I'm sure this plot already has a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts