Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

May inuwi si nanay: ingredients

The necessity of a day to honor the efforts of the female parent will surface even clearer if you would have to believe that someone of my dimension and character sprouted from your insides and that you have to take care of me, at least try to, for until the ticket to heaven comes to one of us. In other words, I am not an easy offspring and being a mother figure is beyond challenging.

To celebrate my mother's special day, we decided on preparing spaghetti. True to her motherly nature, she considered my preferences when it comes to food so our spaghetti is to be vegetarian. Very timely because my blood is starting to smell of pesto pasta which I have been eating due to lack of options.

Tremendous imagination tells us that the hording in of spaghetti, or anything with noodles, guarantees long life. But what is long life without beautiful hair. Noodles are long with a wonderful texture so from now on, it also guarantees beautiful hair. The food itself is two thirds of what I have been asking God to give to my mother. A never-ending supply of happiness, a very loooong life and of course, beautiful hair.

Instead of meat (eww, yuch), we used mushrooms bits.



It turns out our stove gas supply has been consumed - so with the use of a technique originating from dormitory survival, we used a rice cooker to cook the noodles.


I really enjoyed cooking and I don't know if its true to everyone, but I suffered a phase where I believed I had an accurate imagination of taste. Like a boss, I will see ingredients, imagine proportions and I will mix them. The taste, I will imagine, is miraculous but when transposed to real life, I only come up with more colorful renditions of what by taste can only be considered mud.

So when it really gets to the hard-core cooking part, I sit back and watch the pros do their thing. I had vegetarian chicharon to help me pass time. It was kind of fattening waiting for food while eating.


And the final product (drumroll, missile sounds) :


It looks really tasty and yes, it was in a way, tasty. I added thyme to make the whole thing smell gourmet.

My mother is never a bore. People often tell me I can make them laugh. I swear if they met my mother they might as well pull their lungs out. My mother has secret weapon jokes (like the one about the bus, lol) and stories that can easily make your heart burn. She is extremely funny and she often tells me that it doesn't matter if we don't have a lot of money, at least we are happy. She values happiness a lot which is genius. We are here on earth to search for happiness, aren't we?

She told me she is going to watching(lol) watch the Aga Muhlach "In The Name of Love" movie. I think she wanted a break from all the happiness.

****

I can't believe we all did this fresh from an eating-intensive party 30 minutes away from the city. Look, my shoes are all wet and dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts