Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

No one asks but I answer anyhow

I was at my favorite local cafe today. You can see on the back one of the number of shelves filled with wonderful books available for reading. Click this link and on the lower right corner you will see the location of this coffee house extraordinaire.
 

I was at the coffee shop to reunite with on of their books I fell in love with and to meet a friend who is going to lend me the last book of the Hunger Games Trilogy. The second book has been with me for over two months already but I actually just finished it one and a half hour after midnight today. I have read two or three chapters of it over five times already because I have been trying to read the book but then I end up forgetting about it. A few days later, I would remember then forget again.

I am not really a bookworm. While a lot of people find entertainment in reading, I consider it a chore. It takes me some active effort to read - but reading is worth doing when the material is precious. So I am very selective and my taste is very specific but inconstant. When I get tired or lose interest in a book, I don't feel guilt letting go of it halfway used. The Hunger Games trilogy, in one of its final twists to become a political drama in a dystopian landscape, revived my desire.

So why even bother reading when it is a chore? Because I still feel like a kid with a new toy every time I learn something new. You could imagine me as the weirdo who smiles sporadically in front of a book. I feel happiness and awe every time I spot a clever idea. These ideas usually deal with the real world and when I agree, I start recalling personal empirical proofs. My brain goes "Aha. That's right, girl/boy!".

I'm sure there is something more specific a term than bookworm for people who look into books as hope for their sanity. Without books, I couldn't have realized that I am not entirely unique, that it is possible I am living in a world where my brainwaves do not necessarily have to crash with all the others - that there are those who think parallel. Its not because those whose brain works similar to mine are good writers and are strong with words, its just there are those who are good writers and are willing to tell every other one like them that they are not alone. And that their comfort comes during a chore
 
I'm off reading the last of the Hunger Games and I'm looking forward to the film adaptation. 
 
I had several reads that became movies. People often whine about the movie ripping off the book. Technically, you can't really rip a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts