Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

500 Days of Summer


To save myself from breaking my sanity against the eccentricities of psychological thrillers, I sometimes dip into the genre of love. Romance isn't really my thing as I have sworn to celibacy, that is until I finally get the hard kick of needing a partner. As of now, the internet, coffee and good friends keep me full and content. Well, most of the time.

I have heard of 500 Days of Summer a couple of times already. I'm the type of person who dips myself into a lot of communication, usually paying a brutal amount of attention, then having less than the required inspiration to actually do things - things like watching films plastered with good reviews. 500 Days of Summer appealed to me only when I saw a link for the trailer on YouTube (bizarre, given its not really new). On the trailer it said it was an entry to the Sundance Film Festival. That hit me. I enjoy festival films. 

So I got a copy and started watching it. What I had in mind was 500 days of courting, blah blah blah, a calendar-based pointing out of how a boy learns to love a girl and how 'love' is so incomprehensible. But no. It got straight to the point. Boy falls in love with a girl who doesn't give a damn about the relationship. Boy thinks they could get over a  break-up, girl ends up marrying another guy. All the while, the girl is perfect. So the boy is the loser. Well of course, until the last part that is.

I imagine it as the ideal break-up movie. If you and your future life partner suddenly had to walk on different paths, to never meet again, it would be heart breaking. I find sitting in front of the TV, watching this film beside an Everest of tissue paper, digging in a pail of ice cream or/and chugging down a city's supply of alcohol the sanest way to get over a relationship. I've never been committed then broken enough to do this but thanks to this movie, I already have plans.

Lesson learned: Skip the drama. Be rational. Know where you are standing and if the ground falls apart, look into the dark side. Its a mind thing. Every wonderful nice girl has another angle (except, maybe, Drew Barrymore and Georgina Wilson). In fact, everyone has a side that stinks. So if someone gives you shit and you think fighting back is futile/immature/too much physical activity, just shatter their image in your mind. Again, the brain is powerful. A little tweaking can really make you happy. Perspective, perspective.

About fate, I'm not really sure I believe in the power of the cosmos. Coincidence must happen once in a while, doesn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts