Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Have you seen my COPY? HAVE YOU seen it?? Have you!?


I read the book in a span of two weeks. Its a vivid, infinitely-detailed telling of a small fraction in the life of Holden Caulfield. A character so odd that it took me the whole book to realize that we have more similarities than I imagined. He is either representing a phase or a layer that exists in all of us all the time.
After I read the last lines, I was sent into this whirlwind. I wanted to throw up, I was shaking and felt very uncomfortable. I felt like my insides were scooped out and replaced by a whole begging for something. I went to the mall to find another book to get rid of the hangover and all the time, my eyes were out of focus and it felt as if half of me does not belong to the world of my senses. It was really weird and for a while, I feared that I'll become obsessed with this book. I feel like the chances of me waking up tomorrow hugging my copy isn't very slim.

In my present state I can't really make a review so here is a link. Its my friend's article on the Philippine Star. The book has been repeatedly suggested to me by a lot of pop culture references and friends so when I saw her get one, I finally complied.  

Now on to Jodi Picoult's Handle With Care. Its my first time to actually read something from her. In the store, Handle With Care sat beside House Rules, also authored by her. Both deal with children who have diseases. I think I'll enjoy the emotional roller coaster she can deliver. I don't understand how in evolution, the enjoyment of melancholy by fiction became entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts