Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What are Calories? White Rice are Bad Calories, Sadly

If you have followed the site I suggested in this article, you might have read that they enlisted white rice, a staple of the Filipino table, under the sources of bad calories. I don’t take my diet seriously but could it be that white rice is the cause all of my dilemma?
Let me lay down the facts I have collected over internet sources. Don’t worry about plagiarism, I’ll do in-text references with links.
1. What is a calorie?
A calorie is the amount of energy a 150 pound or 68.03 kilo person burns in a minute while resting (MrHealthy.com) and in every gram of carbohydrates you consume, 4 calories go with it too(Google Dictionary). So if you are 68.03 kilos and you eat 200 grams of carbohydrates, you need 800 minutes of rest to burn all that you consumed. Exercise speeds up burning which is a lifeline for the white rice lover, I think.
2. What are the nutritional values of white rice?
According to About.com, the nutritional value of rice is graded B. It has no sugar, no sodium, no cholesterol which is good. The problem is that it contains mostly carbohydrates and only about 0.03% protein. You get 52.3 grams of carbohydrates per cup of rice, only 0.6 gram of that is of dietary fibers which is sad. So you have 212.8 minutes to burn all the calories you just ate.
3. Why did I say white rice have bad calories?
Because it contains too much carbohydrates and not much dietary fibers, I suppose. An article said people should prefer brown rice which is as far as I know, richer in fibers. I don’t know where to grow or get brown rice here in the Philippines. How about food coloring? Does it work, anyone?

As you can see, my diet which is supposed to be something to giggle about took over me. Another second I was eating a carbohydrate enriched meringue and now I’m writing an article against white rice while trying to resist the temptation of eating ‘riced’ lunch. I have eaten bread already and this is not anorexia.

So so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, achoo! Its just today I realized the real lyrics were so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye. It sounded better when the last word was achoo. It was justifiable because I sneeze a lot during rainy nights. :-)…  (drooling smiley) Gooodbye!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, white rice contains mainly carbohydrate. It's unhealthy if consumed more.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts