Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

A real world conversation between an honest mother and a son:

Son: I want to be an actor, mom.

Mother: Well, you can be an actor! Just work hard for your goal.


Son: I want to be someone really good. Someone like.... Johnny Depp.

Mother: Oh! You know what? I think the family needs a doctor. Go wash the dishes while I fill up your applications for med school!
 

I am a fan of Johnny Depp. If you can give flesh and heart to a character I can hardly imagine exist, you must be a very good actor. 

I just watched Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, the fourth of the series, and I couldn't be more happier. First of all, I'm not a Pirates fanboy so I don't have a lot of context to work with. For me, the film was terrific. There was a fight scene coupled with wonderful score that kept me seating at the edge of my seat. Almost impossible because I grab all the comfort I can in movie theaters.

It was a good movie. The same formula: astounding visuals, beautiful musical score, wonderful cast and a good story.

Things I need to note: (can be a little spoiler)

Astrid Berges-Frisbey
She will be a captive mermaid. Her face, her voice and her acting will all contribute to a wonderful, heart-piercing character.And she's French. Although the mermaids were shown as monsters, I had new-found respect for them because of her.

Gemma Ward
Also a mermaid. The scene where she appears, be prepared to see goosebumps all over your body. Beauty all over the screen. And horrific screaming comes afterwards. We all love supermodels. But at first I thought she was really Amanda Seyfreid.

Although I had thoughts of delivering a shovel of popcorn into the throat of this cocky, conceited teenager who just had to tell everyone around him what is happening on screen. It was lucky that he went in to see a very good film with me. If we watched "In The Name of Love" together, he could have went home an Avox. Those type of people should be banned from cinemas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts