Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Prince of Persia: Sand Everywhere

Prince, please watch your eyes.

One of my greatest 'teenhood' fantasy is to be a film critic (alongside being a doctor and astronaut). Because I want to be a film critic, I expose myself to indie films, most of them Filipino, and I try to familiarize with alien cultures as much as possible. "To understand a product, you must know the manufacturers", marketing whores would say. Same as in films, to understand the movie, you must understand the filmmaker and his culture.

Criticizing "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time" (hereafter referred to as PoP, curse long movie names) is very hard to review because it is a commercial movie. A movie that isn't made for the art but for the people. Commercial movies are where financial health is calculated rather than the cultural value. Its also where director's act like dumb viewers and not as animate visual artists. PoP was a form of entertainment. If you want to spend 2 hours of your life sitting down and watching flashing lights, go see the movie. If you want to see an artwork, a masterpiece in film, stay away.

Personally, I did not want to watch PoP but my cousins assured me, by the power of movie trailers, that it was going to be amazing. It wasn't, at least for me. Entertaining but not moving or earth-shaking. 

I have high standards no box office film will ever meet so good luck, directors. When I grow up, I will not only be a movie critic but also a challenge to my generation's filmmakers.

If you were expecting a comprehensible review of the movie from this post, here is a brief and general opinion:

If you enjoy being buried in sand and you enjoy sand in your every body part, watch the movie. And if you think the Terminator with Arnold Swac*******ger was brilliant, you need to watch this. And if you can only associate Jake to Brokeback Mountain, watch this also. I used reason number 3.
I should note that this bad reaction to the film maybe because I think brilliant movies should not be heavily funded (although I liked Avatar) or overly publicized. My brain tells me to appreciate the work of the homeless rather than the millionaire's. Unfair, but earth is never fair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts