Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Banning Cigarettes

I have been baffled by the fact that cigarettes, medically, don't give enough benefits to weigh out its harm and it is still cheaply and readily available in stores here in the Philippines. Its like selling packets of lung cancer and toxins to people for a very cheap price.

Why can't smoking be illegalized?

I have seen money being wasted on cigarette packs, next on hospital bills. Families being brought apart by this unhealthy vice. People seeking rehabilitation but are never able to stop their smoking. Its a national problem we humans have grown so much it can overpower us. 


I wonder what happens now that our next president is a chain smoker. I do not condemn him and I believe in his capabilities as a leader but not every Filipino can afford the costs of smoking. Smoking can kill faster when you are poor. Being a smoker himself, he might not act upon smoking. He might protect a fragment of himself. For me, smoking is a disease that can be cured. I would save the smoker and condemn the cigarettes. I hope this problem will find a resolution soon.

A draft of my proposed bill: Sorry, I don't speak legalese.

Every pack of cigarette will be taxed 500 Pesos. Every individual stick bought will be taxed 100 Pesos. The collected tax money, instead of going to the pockets of leaders, will go directly to NGO's who will handle the rehabilitation of smokers. Any purchase of cigarettes of any kind that are without tax is punishable by live lung mutilation or simply put: You lie down in bed, chained and your lung will be crushed using a metal tube inserted on the area where you touch when you sing the national anthem, its apparent that its a painful way to die.
That was a very long way to say STOP SMOKING. The deliberation of my bill will be a test to officials if they serve themselves or the health of the population.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts