Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fedora Linux Review

I am an average computer user. If I rate my I.T. experience and knowledge, I‘d give myself an honest 7 out of ten. I know Windows and I have been using Windows since 1998. Curiosity took over and in just a few hours, I am already booting up Fedora Linux. A Linux distribution which is less famous than the Ubuntu type.

Fedora Linux is legally free, open source to be exact. If your running a cracked/pirated copy of Windows or other systems, its a good thing to switch to Fedora.

My new desktop. Searching for Epson Printer Drivers!

Fedora installation is relatively easy. Just go to their website, download the 690+ MB ISO file and burn it into a disc. Boot-up witht he CD and follow the instructions. If you get lost or if you need some more directions, just look for them on the internet.

The installation was a breeze, the learning curve is not that steep. There was some problem in the first few hours before I figured out about Audacious which play MP3 files (the pre-installed media player could not). I downloaded Open Office (another open-source application bundle similar to Microsoft Office) and voila, computer life is back to normal.

Over-all, I consider Fendora worth a hundred tries. Its very easy on the hardware, very handy, very unique but not alienating. I think I can even say that its better than Windows Vista. Less bumps and hang-ups. Good job for all the people who collaborated this wonderful OS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts