Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Carpool Hygiene

The next story would be requiring the understanding of 'jeepney' so if you don't know what a jeepney is, better read this first. Everyday, I ride the jeepney. I go to a school a jeepney ride away so its very efficient and cheap. A jeepney ride costs about $0.15.

The story:

A few days back, I woke up very happy. I took a bath and took off.

I go to school at approximately 6:45 AM. Many people are still making out with their pillows around that time while a few others jog around the city. I rode the jeepney and waited inside it for the other passengers to come. I sat in the innermost part of the jeep because I knew I would be getting off of it probably the last. I entertained myself with music.

Over time, other people filled the jeep until only two seats was open. Two men, probably friends, climbed aboard. I was sandwiched between them. I was holding my phone in my hand because I was planning to send out a tweet that my jeep was leaving. I had a deep breath before typing into the keyboard of my phone when I sensed a peculiar smell. I took another deep breath and I realized, I just paralyzed my respiratory system.

The two people sandwiching me had a certain stench I have never smelled before. It was like pig sweat mixed with stale milk or something. The odor was just incredibly bad I turn bright green when I try to remember it.

Unfortunately for me, the jeepney ride took about 20 minutes. So I was sitting there, trying to forget breathing, tweeting on my phone the situation I was in, waiting for death to fetch me. I was pretty sure I almost passed out when the two of them moved. I realized they were getting off the jeep. For the first time in a few months, I appreciated the smell of nothingness. I was smiling at everyone in the jeepney and they smile back understandingly. I sniffed myself to test if the odor of the two people was contagious. Fortunately their odor only faintly infected my right sleeve.

For the $0.15 dollars I pay for the jeepney, proper ventilation is not a right but a product of circumstance.

For other Filipinos, sniff yourself before riding public utility vehicles or you just might be the topic of another blog post.

Get more updates by clicking here.


And if you like what you see here, don't forget to share. Sharing enlarges your house in heaven! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts