Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Retreat



Because high school graduations are also spiritual milestones, my batch held a an overnight retreat at a center ran by Carmelite nuns on a mountainside in Duenas, Iloilo, about an hour drive from the city.

The best part of it all was : they served organic food. Most if not all of the ingredients in the food they served were grown from their own land and they are very willing to give up a little flavor just to preserve the 'purity' of our food. No MSG etc. It was a dream-turned-into-reality for me because earlier in life, I get anxious when our viand has MSG added in it. Thanks to our home economics teacher who is always ready with a list of the bad effects of consuming MSG to health. I even remember being depressed over why my detestation towards MSG is never given attention in our household.

Retreat houses are supposed to bring you closer to God and culturally, to achieve this, there must be a sense of fasting. We didn't have it. In fact, it was the opposite of fasting - senseless eating. On normal days, I eat at most 2 very light meals. During the retreat, I ate 5 heavy-weight meals. Rice, pork, chicken, a lot of fruits, and even bouts of white bread. Seriously, it would be very awkward if the Supreme Being visits you and your stomach is grumbling in hunger. I'd prefer meeting Him full with His blessings.

The place was so au naturele. The soil was pure, also the air and the height of the trees suggest that they have never been touched. If only my boisterous classmates weren't there, I should have forgotten verbal language and have entirely submitted myself to subliminal spiritual chatting. Serenity is rare nowadays. 

Even better: I am a fan of house/trance music. Listening to capturing beat patterns while viewing unlimited stretches of virgin trees is surreal. 

Retreats should be done twice a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts