Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lessons from H1N1

Chemistry nerd joke:

Sri (pronounced ‘shray’): What is the geometric shape of NH3?
Benedict: How about H1N1?
Class: Hahahaha…


The Influenza A H1N1 scare’s fame is quickly fading so I figured out it’s the best time to reminisce its time in the headlines and apply its story to my life.

I consider every challenge a learning experience. I try to so I would end up thinking that I gained something even when I lost. In the time of the big and scary A H1N1 virus panic, I learned something. Something the books call optimism.

Our school was not spared form the virus. We had to suspend classes for 10 days because of an unaware victim’s visit and type 3 dengue scares which deprived the teachers of valuable teaching time and saved us from boatloads of important information for a week. Of course, no week is given away for free. Because of the change in the school year’s schedule, we had to learn all the lessons in lesser days which I and my friends call cramming.
When our Math 4 (we had one Math subject for the first year and 2 for the second year) teacher told us that she already passed the first quarter’s grade, we all gasped in fear. She then gracefully continued, “I am so sorry to tell you but there are many 5’s, 4’s and 3’s flooding my grade sheet.”

We fainted.

We found out that our first quarter grades were the worst she had ever seen in years. Wow, ma’am, helpful. Of course, it was not her fault. She was excellent in teaching. It was only the information overload because of the scarce school time that got the best of us.
It’s all in these atrocities that I learned optimism. All the low scores made us forget that it was only the first quarter. We had another three quarters to change the color of our report cards.
I may get substandard scores in several subjects but who cares. It doesn’t cease my existence anyway. As Jessica Zafra taught me, what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger. There is more to life than Math 4 or Physics 2 or Microbiology or even Research 1. I believe there is a non-academic identity, a non-rational being of humanity inside all of us. All I have to do is exploit that identity and make it transform my negativity to positivity.

I deserve to escape the world of learning sometimes and to enjoy what I already know, a time where I could thank my human instincts (such as eat any edible matter) to please myself. I should not be depressed. I may not have done my best but I learned the consequences. I learned and that’s good.

So please, my fellow academics, let us all take time to close our eyes and follow our instincts. Let us all laugh at things we think is funny and remember the past hilarities that we didn’t have time to giggle at before. Let us make ourselves happy. We deserve to be. Let us shake all flakes of stress and dandruff of our workaholic asses.

We work so hard so we can party harder, di’ ba?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts